|Posted on May 3, 2011 at 8:13 AM|
LIO Welcome Host Ecuadorian Astronaut Commander Ron Nader embodies, as a non-partisan advocate of peace and education of under-served youth, LIO interests in dialogue on voluntary approaches, global multi-culturalism, future and proactive focus, and respect for the aspirations of each individual to do great things.
As some leaders predict a centuries-long "War on Terror" and declining civil liberties it may be we need to re-vision. What will "foreign policy " be a century from now? Will we, 100 years from now, leave these problems behind?
In 1976 LIO began to network a series of workshops to re-orient humanity away from the cold war and towards peaceful and private colonization of space and the sea respectful of non-human life and ecologies, and voluntary public programs. We're beginning to see the results after a generation of discussion, private experimentation, and massive changes in attitude: If LIO Libertarians have anything to do with it, in the future 'foreign policy' will be merely formal as humanity unites in peaceful development of space with growing legalization of voluntary and non-coercive means...prepares space arks for stellar colonies...debates the prospects of FTL or Faster than Light speed travel...and begin by highlighting and spreading projects for just that that are well underway, many catalyzed or supported by LIO Friends as can be seen from the X-Prize lists at:
- The Google Lunar X PRIZE is a $30 million competition for the first privately funded team to send a robot to the moon, travel 500 meters and transmit video, images and data back to the Earth.
- The Ansari X PRIZE, won by Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites in 2004, was a $10 million competition to build a privately funded craft that reaches a sub-orbit of 100 km twice in two weeks.
- The X PRIZE Cup is an annual two day air and space expo designed to bring together all sections of the aerospace industry to demonstrate their capabilities for the general public.
- The Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander X CHALLENGE is a two-level, two million dollar competition requiring a vehicle to simulate trips between the moon’s surface and lunar orbit.
- Thanks to Lib-led legal simplification, private space Mars ventures are under discussion, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/21/musk_mars_dragon_claim/
- Prodded by private envisioning groups, now NASA is discussing inter-stellar travel as part of the debate: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/24/nasas-100-year-starship-project-sets-sights-interstellar-travel/
In addition, cultural change is accelerating:
- Many US States have begun work on private-public Spaceports
- Movies such as Avatar, widely prasied by Libertarians and Liberals as showing how we should not proceed, show a deepening public discourse
- Science Fiction stories that re-envision government as a center of information along lines proposed by Madison, playing a modest and advisory role for a peaceful and educated society
- Meetinmgs by policymakers to prevent areas of conflict in space use and invite co-operation and private involvement on a voluntary scale
- Growing involvement is itself an engine for peace and public information.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
>Encourage a local workshop on your community 100 years from now as a peaceful community
>Examine policies that may be hindering development and choices