|Posted on February 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM|
Left: Activists meet local Afghan farmers on mini-banks.
February 22, 2010 --Libertarian Parties have been normalizing operations in promoting Libertarian and Liberal ideas and have begun to define the center. In addition, once controversial concepts, including LIO SMILE agenda concepts, are redefining the mainstream more than ever in recent years.
- Costa Rica: After years of focus on local organization and problem solving, the Liberal-Libertarian allaince of the Movimiento Libertario has near 20% of the legislature in the last election and many lov cal posts and groups.
- USA: The USLP has been facing difficulties from extreme right-wing infiltration denounced by many party leaders, including the party lead founder, David Nolan. These followed great success in 2002 when LP Political Director Ron Crickenberger reported "overrunnning" by moles attempting to sabotage the effort. In addition, its work is obscured by the focus on Federal elections, when the US is better thought of as a federation of states or countries. Success is better judged by the local level at this time. At the State level Libertarians have been winning, after a decline, many partisan elected, non-partisan elected and many appointive posts. The LIO endorsed project in Pinellas Florida, using best practices, has attained over 20 local posts and led in activist efforts from ballot fairness to homeless issues. Key also the USLP has helped create a vast Libertarian think tank and citizen group infrastructure which it feeds.The related Campaign for Liberty of LIO Observer Ron Paul has taken on international dimensions for those interested in Libertarian constitutionalism.Libertarianism is now regularly discussed on US TV. Efforts are also underway for direct change via the initiative led directly by Dr. Ralph Swanson, past LIO advisory head, with a pilot project in Florida (see http://www.floridaliberty.com for a site also chronicling the progress of Libertarian ideals in one sate over several decades). Several variant US Libertarian party groups have been formed by people unhappy with the situation. Mr. Nolan recently stated he will seek a post on the national committee US in an effort to moderate the problem.
- Oceania: The Liberal Libertarians around the ACT! in New Zealand ( http://www.act.org.nz/ ) has been electing to parliament and accomplishing improvements from partial Social Security privatization to school choice; and the Liberal Democratic Party in Australia ( http://www.ldp.org.au/ ) have begun expansion after legal regsitration battles with the government.
- Troubled areas: Libertarian improvement projects in alliance with local groups continue in Afghanistan, Iran, and Iraq, and East Asia in general. The LIO advisors and fans there report emphasis is lifestyle Libertarianism such as farmer mini-banks, promoting sister-cities through introductions, teaching civil activism tools such as using cell phones for flash demoinstrations, and work to legalize religious freedom. Libertarians in China are working through the legal system for in mprovements, continued economic opening, and a "United States of China" plan that has been quietly adopted as long term policy ( China is struggling with internal immigration and travel restrictions and the need for increased localism). Projects such as these are being promoted in all dictatorships and infant democracies. Dictatorships are down to 37 minor countries.
Worldwide Liberal parties of varying quality have been expanding ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism_worldwide ), while new Libertarian-oriented (Libertarian-Liberal) parties are becoming routine.These include:
- Mongolia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(Mongolia), past Prime Minister is a Libertarian
- Brazil ( http://www.libertarios.com.br )
- Argentina ( http://www.partidoliberal.org.ar/home/ ) and also the educative Partido Libertario ( http://www.argentinaposta.150m.com/ ),
- Efforts in Spain ( http://partidolibertario.wordpress.com/ also http://www.p-lib.es/ )
- UK ( see the http://lpuk.org/pages/take-the-test.php ; several electoral local wins reported) .
- Wikipedia has begun a list of Libertarian-interest parties as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_libertarian_political_parties ).
Typically Liberal centrist parties attract 5% to 30% of the electorate in European countries (the Swiss FDP is typically on the high end). These report an inceasingly Libertarian-oriented agenda and interest in particularly small government applications and philosophers ( http://www.liberal-international.org/editorial.asp?ia_id=1117 ). In the US Libertarians are attracting or developing that constituency. Recent polls suggest the US public has increased from 6% to 27% Libertarian Leaning and a similar amount centrist in one generation.Libertarian leaders feel this is in large part due to educative and political efforts. In other words, we expect growing Libertarianization of the center.
Libertarian public policy concepts are spreading in the culture:
- Competing currency denominations are being adopted in over 200 US cities.There are now societies that study the subject.
- Many countries have begun normalizing marihuana use. In the US 14 states have some form of exception.
- Gay rights, gambling, and personal rights exceptions are under Libertarian influence becoming also conservative issues; while leftists have endorsed various degrees of privatization.
- Local community and co-op provision options are increasingly being proposed or adopted.
- Sea communities of a Libertarian character have attracted interest and strudy.
- Ballot fairness has been the subject of sevral; coalitions and spreading.
- Communities in the US have been adopting the Libertarian-direction "Voluntary City" concept.
At the same time anti-Libertarian activity is up:
- In the US, 31 Libertarian state parties reported undesirable presence of extremist or government "moles" to LIO. In one state an officer produced information that he had been part of a targeted campaign to smear Libertarian leaders in which the entire state committee was involved with national officers.
- Wikipedia Libertarian articles are regularly tampered with. Even the LIO article has been taken down, and the ISIL article was removed several times. The article on Libertarianism has many inaccuracies difficult to correct as much Libertarian history is at present oral or in reserved documents.
- Conservatives friendly to LIO report efforts are up to confuse the public on Libertarianism. A group paid to enter misleading web articles has been reported.
- Exterme leftists have used these to attack Libertarians as anti-government extremists.
LIO has been as a result shifting its emphasis for the coming years as an advisory organization.
- It is helping develop strict Libertarian Clubs and soon parties worldwide.
- There will be increased focus on SMILE (Space/Sea Migration and Ecology, Machine Servants, Improved Lifestyle, Libertarian, Empowerment through Libertarian Community, Liberal Society) Agenda items.
- The Society for New Intellectuals, the oldest Rand-study group, will be co-operating on joint projects in spreading themes of objective philosophy (e.g. Aristotle, Spinoza, Rand).
- The LIO site is reconfiguring as an educative tools site as support sites on the Libertarian strategic plan are underway.
- A new e-zine is underway to collate Libertarian dialogue and papers in many languages.
- The LIO advisory board will be reconfigured in the next decade to accomodate local action.
SMILE advances recently include:
- The US has adopted a growing posture of unblocking private space exploration.
- Phones are today personal computers linking humanity thanks in large part to the LIO initiative in 1974 to de-regulate the matter.
- Increased attention to autonomous living and issues affecting the yopung hi-IQ
- Libertarian options are spreading.Libertarian management approaches have also gained ground with many management consulting firms, according to the late LIO Advisor Dr. Peter Drucker. Many celebrities have begun identifying as cultural or political Libertarians.
- Extension of life, a taboo subject before the LIO Committee to Eliminate Death project headed by Dr. Roy Walford, is now a subject of regular discussion. Scientists recently announced major advances in understanding the context of genetics in aging and "artificial life." Much remains to be done e.g. end bans on cloning.
- In general, the agenda has entered the culture under the ideas of transhumanism and extropianism, though the approaches are not identical.